Friday, October 04, 2013

Meteorology Mix Up

It's already October and the feel of autumn is in the air! Wait, no...it's not. Not in Rio...it's spring here and my meteorology compass is messed up! I have buckets full of pretty autumn decor that I don't know what to do with. I think I'll put it all up anyway. It seems too sad not to. Brazilians don't celebrate Halloween (a travesty if you ask me, it's my favorite holiday!!) but the kid's school does, and I believe the consulate office is putting some sort of celebration together as well. Still, no door-to-door trick or treating for us. So sad. Maybe on Halloween morning I will knock on all the doors of my apartment building and give them candy to hand out to my kids that evening. I'm sure they'd be a little confused and most likely terrified when we show up later that evening all dressed up...then again, Rio is well known for Carnival, so the costume thing...they might be okay with!

Anyway, I'm having a pretty good week. Government shutdown excluded. That is just scary and a bit infuriating, but thankfully my husband is still working and if things are fixed soon, we will be okay. I hate to think of those who are not so lucky.

I have decided that it is time for me to gain some self control with my diet. I'm not eighteen anymore (as if marriage with four constantly growing kids wasn't proof enough of that already!) and I'm just noticing that what I eat is really affecting how I look and feel much more than it used to. I am way too young to be tired and slothful all the time. So, I set the goal (and my sister is joining me!) of not eating any added sugars for the entire month of October. (I can cheat on the last day of course.) I am on day four now and so far, so good! I've been a little grouchy and I felt pretty bad yesterday, but I think it's still going really well. It's funny how much satisfaction can come just by showing myself some self control. I love it.

The kids are doing great this week. Each of them has a "playdate" today with different kids. That was another hard adjustment about moving here. All friend time has to be scheduled and I feel like it's another rock placed in my metaphorical backpack of things to do. An important rock...like a diamond or something. Yeah...rocks...I think I'm still waking up. :)

On that note, I must go. I have a house that hates to stay clean and a little girl begging to use the computer to play Doc McStuffins.  Tchau until later!! I'll post more pics next time.


No comments: