Sunday, May 18, 2014

Ibuprofen: 1, Brazilian Flu: 0

I am sitting on my daughter’s bed right now, enjoying the effects of a 600mg Ibuprofen and contemplating how hard it must have been for people, before pain relievers hit the market. This morning I woke up in agony. I’ve been sick here before, and I don’t know if it’s because my body is still getting used to all the new viruses, or if Brazil just just has a few heavy-weight bugs that knock their victims to the ground with a vengeance, either way, I was truly beaten. I couldn’t decide which part was worse: the sore throat, the Ping-Pong match between a hot and cold body temperature, the ever-present nausea, or the way the muscles all over my body were clenching in on my spine. It was a combination that made it impossible to sleep, because I couldn’t find a position that was in any way comfortable (think, ”last two weeks of pregnancy” times ten).  My poor husband was in the same the boat, although he’s been at this virus a few days longer than me, so his muscle clenching is mostly over. I finally had mercy on him and moved to my daughter’s room…it’s hard to get any rest, when your spouse is thrashing around the bed like a two-year-old.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Drugs. The medicine took away the clenching pain, which in turn calmed my stomach a bit. I’m definitely not at 100%, but I am a million times better than before, and so today, I am incredibly grateful to live in a time of medicine!


That being said, I am beginning to feel round two coming. I think I’m going to hunker down and see if I can sleep it off before it gets too bad. Hope you all are having a healthier day than me!

No comments: